Spring and the onset of warmer weather means pests are coming out. One of the most persistent warm-weather pests we receive calls about is ant problems. Of course, ant problems are not just a local issue for Fairfax, Burke, McLean and other Northern Virginia homeowners. Ant problems are the number one nuisance pest issue reported by homeowners. More than half of consumers list ant problems as their top pest issue, according to the National Pest Management Association.
Warmer temperatures and higher water tables from winter snow and springtime rains drive ants out of the ground. Ant problems can be daunting and irritating for many homeowners. Ants are a critical part of our ecosystem, but ant problems can ruin food and damage your home. Ants can also spread filth.
Ant Problems Can Damage Your Home
Carpenter ants pose the most risks for homeowners in the Washington, D.C. region. These ants excavate wood in order to build their nests. Their tunneling can compromise a home’s structural soundness and require immediate remediation to protect your home.
Though ants can be difficult to control once they have entered your home, there are steps homeowners can take to prevent ant problems as well as eliminate ants. Eliminating food sources is a critical first step to controlling ant problems and avoiding infestations.
Tips to Prevent Ant Problems
- Wipe up crumbs and spills immediately
- Vinegar-based cleaning products are often helpful for eliminating the pheromone trails ants use to tell other ants how to find a food source.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and remove from the home frequently
- Keep food packages closed or sealed and store products in air-tight containers
- Avoid leaving food out on the counter or pet food out on the floor for long periods of time
- Repair holes or gaps in window and door screens
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well-trimmed and away from the house
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows
If you suspect an ant or any pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect, identify and treat the problem.
My Pest Pros has experienced and certified pest inspectors capable of detecting and eliminating ant activity as well as other pest problems. Contact us today at 703-665-4455 for a pest inspection or consultation.