Spiders can be scary, especially if you have arachnophobia. But if you simply want to keep spiders out of your home in Woodbridge or elsewhere in Virginia, or get rid of spiders that have already made themselves at home in your home, there are several things you can do to make them go away forever. Use these tips and tricks to keep the arachnids away!
Keep spiders away from your house
House spiders are relatively harmless, but that doesn’t mean you want them living in your home. Here are a few tips for keeping spiders away from your house:
- Treat exterior cracks and holes.
- Keep doors closed.
- Store food properly.
- Don’t leave clothes on the floor or countertops.
- Use a plastic sealant to fill cracks around windows, pipes, and other openings where spiders can enter your home.
- If you see a spider inside your home, do not release it outdoors; it may find its way back into your house! Instead, pick up a broom and gently sweep it outside.
- Set out glue traps in areas like hallways and doorways to kill spiders that have made their way indoors.
- For more immediate relief, spray insecticide products labeled as effective against both ants and spiders around window sills, under furniture, and along baseboards, especially at night when most insects are active.
- Buy pre-made aerosol sprays with permethrin (such as Raid) if you can’t handle DIY projects or prefer an easier fix.
- Vacuum regularly.
- Clean up clutter and dust regularly to eliminate hiding places for spiders.
- Before spraying any chemical on surfaces, test a small patch first to ensure that neither you nor your pets will be harmed by exposure to chemicals.
- Hang bug zappers near entry points to kill large numbers of bugs before they get inside.
- Spray vinegar around rooms regularly.
- Make sure trees are pruned so no limbs hang over walkways.
Ways to Get Rid of Spiders in Your Home
There are several ways to keep spiders out of your home and prevent them from coming back. Here’s a look at four ways that have been found effective for getting rid of spiders in your home. Follow these steps and you’ll be spider-free in no time! The first thing you need to do is eliminate any food sources. Keep an eye on places where spiders tend to gather, such as windowsills or near plants, because it could indicate that there is food nearby. Remove crumbs, pet food and other debris frequently. Next, reduce clutter around your house so there is less opportunity for spiderwebs in hidden corners. It may sound obvious, but vacuuming your house can also help keep spiders away. Most prefer dark areas where they can hide out during daylight hours; if you’re trying to get rid of spiders with physical measures alone, begin by cleaning up cobwebs in cabinets and corners with a vacuum cleaner (use caution not to let webs or dust get into your eyes!). You should also wear gloves while cleaning, as some people are sensitive to spider bites.
Natural Way to Get Rid of Spiders
To keep spiders out naturally, fill a small spray bottle with water. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil—lavender is best, as it’s both soothing and helps repel bugs—and shake vigorously. Spritz your baseboards and doorways, then let them dry before returning indoors. You can also sprinkle cayenne pepper around entry points for spiders or dab lavender oil on cotton balls and set them out where spiders might congregate.
If spiders and other pests are creeping you out, My Pest Pros’ can help protect your home or business. Our service plans are designed to help protect your home against the most common pests in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. Call us today at 703-665-4455 and We’ll Get Rid of What’s Bugging You!