As the new year approaches, you are probably making a list of your resolutions for 2017. When it comes to your home, one important resolution is keeping it free of pests. Spring will arrive soon, and that is a common season for expensive pest problems to start.
Ways To Keep Pests Out Of Your Home
Mice can enter your home through an opening that is the size of a quarter. Ants can crawl through small rips in screens, and spiders can easily enter your home by crawling under the door. Use these tips to keep pests outdoors:
- Use weather stripping to seal the bottoms and sides of exterior doors.
- Repair any rips in screens, and make sure that they are affixed securely to the window.
- Seal any cracks along windowsills.
- Do not leave windows open without a bug mesh screen.
- Seal cracks in the foundation.
- Add bug mesh to any exterior vents.
- Keep the fireplace damper closed when it is not in use.
Ways To Prevent Pests In Your Home
Once your home is sealed against pests, there are several steps to take to minimize the attractions for them in the home. Follow these tips:
- Keep sugar, flour, crackers and other food items in sealed plastic containers.
- Clean up food and drink spills immediately.
- Vacuum and clean the floors regularly.
- Always sweep the kitchen after cooking.
- Avoid taking snacks in rooms other than the kitchen or dining room.
- Keep clothes, toys and other items off the floor.
- Clean basements and attics regularly.
- Keep sinks clean, and minimize moisture in both kitchens and bathrooms.
When To Call A Pest Control Professional
If you see a cockroach, ant, spider, mouse or another common household pest, there are probably more nearby. Most pests are elusive and make their colonies under baseboards, behind the walls and in low-traffic areas. Do not try to use DIY removal methods. Mouse traps can be hazardous to children and pets. Chemicals such as bleach sprays can also be hazardous to children. Some methods only send pests to another part of the home but do not get rid of the infestation. At My Pest Pros, we use EPA-approved substances and proven methods that effectively and quickly remove pest infestations. We can also provide regular preventative treatments to protect your peace of mind. If you have a pest problem and live in Northern Virginia, the District of Columbia or Maryland, call us for a free estimate.