Stink bugs are a nuisance pest that can invade homes and businesses in large numbers around homes in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. every fall and spring. While they are not harmful to humans, they can be scary and can emit a foul odor when smashed. The number of calls for stink bug treatments that we receive at My Pest Pros increases as temperatures change and these guys want to get inside your home.
There's nothing worse than walking into a dark bathroom and turning on the light to see one of these next to you. Or finding one on your pillow will give you nightmares!
What do stink bugs look like?
Stink bugs are large, brown insects with a shield-shaped body. They have long antennae and six legs. Their body is covered in small bumps, and they have a pair of glands on the underside of their abdomen that produce a foul-smelling liquid. They look like some prehistoric invaders!
Other people are afraid of the smell that stink bugs emit. This smell is designed to deter predators, but it can be quite unpleasant to humans. The smell has been described as smelling like skunk spray, burnt rubber, or coriander.
Still, others are afraid of the fact that stink bugs can invade homes and businesses in large numbers. Stink bugs are good at hiding, and they can be difficult to get rid of. They can also cause damage to plants, making them a nuisance for gardeners and farmers.
When are they most active?
Stink bugs are most active during the fall and winter months. They seek out warm places to overwinter, and they are often found in homes and other buildings. Stink bugs can also be found outdoors during the spring and summer, but they are less active during this time of year.
How do stink bugs just appear?
Stink bugs can enter your home through even the smallest cracks and crevices. They are also known to hitch a ride on people and pets. Once inside your home, stink bugs can be difficult to eliminate. They are good at hiding, and they can emit a foul odor when disturbed. Overwintering stink bugs will often come out through recessed lights and vents during a warm winter day.
Where do stink bugs nest in your house?
Stink bugs like to nest in warm, dark places. They are often found in attics, basements, and crawl spaces. Stink bugs can also be found behind furniture, appliances, and other objects.
What keeps stink bugs away?
There are a number of things you can do to keep stink bugs away from your home, including:
- Seal cracks and crevices: Inspect your home for any cracks or crevices around windows, doors, and foundations. Seal any openings with caulk or another sealant.
- Repair window and door screens: Make sure that all of your window and door screens are in good condition and free of holes.
- Remove food sources: Eliminate any food sources that may be attracting stink bugs to your property. This includes picking up fallen fruit, removing weeds, and keeping your garden clean.
- Reduce light pollution: Turn off exterior lights when possible, especially at night. If you must have exterior lights on, use yellow or amber bulbs, which are less attractive to stink bugs.
How to get rid of stink bugs
If you have a stink bug problem, there are a number of things you can do to get rid of them, including:
- Vacuum up stink bugs: If you see a stink bug in your home, you can vacuum it up. Be sure to dispose of the vacuum bag immediately so that the stink bugs cannot escape.
- Use insecticidal soap: Insecticidal soap can be used to kill stink bugs and their eggs. It is a safe and effective option for use around plants and animals.
- Call a professional exterminator: If you have a severe stink bug problem, or if you are unable to get rid of them on your own, you may need to call a professional exterminator.
How My Pest Pros can help
My Pest Pros is a professional pest control company that can help you get rid of stink bugs and protect your home from future infestations. We offer a variety of stink bug treatment options, including:
- Inspection and identification: Our technicians will inspect your home and property to identify the source of the stink bug infestation.
- Treatment: We will develop a customized treatment plan to eliminate the stink bugs and prevent them from coming back. Our treatments are safe and effective for use around people and pets.
- Prevention: We can also provide tips on preventing stink bugs from entering your home in the future.
If you have a stink bug problem in your home in the Virginia, Maryland, or Washington, D.C. area, contact My Pest Pros today at 703-665-4455 for a free consultation. We will help you get rid of stink bugs and protect your home from future infestations. Schedule your treatment today.